Slow to download files from the Forum

rypz79

BANNED
Reaction score
I wish that there were server-side mechnism on this forum to tackle this problem.
I think regular dup scans should be ran on the media here at least per thread (i.e find and remove dups in a thread)
That will result in less data less posts smaller db with much faster server response and streaming/DL time which is pretty horrible ATM (50-80kB/s)

I wish that there were server-side mechnism on this forum to tackle this problem.
I think regular dup scans should be ran on the media here at least per thread (i.e find and remove dups in a thread)
That will result in less data less posts smaller db with much faster server response and streaming/DL time which is pretty horrible ATM (50-80kB/s)
I agree with you on the first part. But, I think, your slow streaming/dl may be an issue with your ISP, rather than the Forum.

Sure, there are times where the server slows down (peak hours, and, a lot of people (this month alone, our low/high was 15,336/16,964 in one day) online at the same time). But, I have a 100MBper ISP, and my download times are usually very fast.

I agree with you on the first part. But, I think, your slow streaming/dl may be an issue with your ISP, rather than the Forum.

Sure, there are times where the server slows down (peak hours, and, a lot of people (this month alone, our low/high was 15,336/16,964 in one day) online at the same time). But, I have a 100MBper ISP, and my download times are usually very fast.
My ISP is fine I also have 100MBps Rx bandwidth.
The forum server is the culprit.
~10% low/high diff is nothing. more Tx bandwidth is much needed for this server.

Anyone else having this problem?

My ISP is fine I also have 100MBps Rx bandwidth.
The forum server is the culprit.
~10% low/high diff is nothing. more Tx bandwidth is much needed for this server.

Well, it is news to me. And, other than slow to load pages (a result of too many attachments, full size images and/or too many embedded videos), I have not heard anything about this.

I have split-off the related posts off into a new topic.

@admin
Can you shed any light on this?

I've been noticing the last few weeks it's been pretty slow for me as well. No issue with my ISP or equipment.

Loading pages seems normal, but opening pictures or downloading has been painful.

All working fine for me (y)

Anyone else having this problem?

Well, it is news to me. And, other than slow to load pages (a result of too many attachments, full size images and/or too many embedded videos), I have not heard anything about this.

I have split-off the related posts off into a new topic.

@admin
Can you shed any light on this?
Has been normal for me here in VN. @rypz79 is the problem only noticeable when downloading media, or also thread browsing?

Streaming (or DLding).
Thread browsing is fine.
OK, dude! You jinxed me! ;)

Now, I too am experiencing slow streaming of videos. Though, my d/ls seem to be fine.

Please, post a link to the latest download that is slow for you.

OK, dude! You jinxed me! ;)

Now, I too am experiencing slow streaming of videos. Though, my d/ls seem to be fine.

Please, post a link to the latest download that is slow for you.
Just DLed an 8sec 6.37MB vid in 36sec (180kB/s)
That's fair not good or great.
I'll check with a bigger file and let you know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201119-143524_ADM.jpg
    Screenshot_20201119-143524_ADM.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 2
Has been normal for me here in VN. @rypz79 is the problem only noticeable when downloading media, or also thread browsing?
Streaming is BAD only 3.1MB 30sec vid here and I got a LOT of lag's (4-5 stops for 30secs) mean streaming was between 60-150kB/s so it's two things Tx on server and buffer on client.

If you cannot increase the Tx bandwidth can you change buffering time so that the server calculates packet transfer rate at the beginning of the session then takes a timeout to "fill the client's buffer" so that the streaming will appear smooth with no lags.
It's UDP packets right? it uses UDP for streaming?

I'm starting to see it as well; in particular the streaming.
I've found it's quicker to download the video than to hit Play on the embedded video.

I'm starting to see it as well; in particular the streaming.
I've found it's quicker to download the video than to hit Play on the embedded video.
Yeap, me 2.
And it shouldn't happen with small files (<5MB)
The server's Tx bandwidth should be increased and the DB optimized (debloat the forum).

@admin what is the bandwidth (Rx/Tx) ? I guess it's a DSL line.

Yeap, me 2.
And it shouldn't happen with small files (<5MB)
The server's Tx bandwidth should be increased and the DB optimized (debloat the forum).

@admin what is the bandwidth (Rx/Tx) ? I guess it's a DSL line.
Have you noticed a change in performance? They opened the network port from 100MBPS to 1000MBPS.

Have you noticed a change in performance? They opened the network port from 100MBPS to 1000MBPS.
Just tried it now 10sec vid it literally hung.
1:39min to DL 10sec 8.59MB vid at 88KB/s
That's horrible. about 10% of the speed needed to stream it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201124-090229_ADM.jpg
    Screenshot_20201124-090229_ADM.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Just tried it now 10sec vid it literally hung.
1:39min to DL 10sec 8.59MB vid at 88KB/s
That's horrible. about 10% of the speed needed to stream it.
Hmm, something flunky is going on for sure.

admin requested the Port be opened, and for a previously slow to load video, back to back downloads were less than 2 seconds.

Though, and from the staff side, I have noticed a few slowing down of things that didn't slow down before.