Supported File format for Attachments?

While videos up to 32 MB are allowed, the same is not tru for images.

I'm trying to post videos well under this size limit but getting the message that the files are too large. Anyone experienced this before? Any way to resolve?

I'm trying to post videos well under this size limit but getting the message that the files are too large. Anyone experienced this before? Any way to resolve?
Perhaps, it's the format? :unsure:

This vid attachment is 31.1 MB.

Attachments

• Tessa-210915.mp4
    31.1 MB
It could be the resolution of the video. I rarely post vids so I've never tested the limits.

Perhaps, it's the format? :unsure:
The one I tested with was an .avi file, which is listed in the first post of this thread as an acceptable format?

It could be the resolution of the video. I rarely post vids so I've never tested the limits.

Resolution was 640x480. Is there a list of resolution requirements somewhere?

The one I tested with was an .avi file, which is listed in the first post of this thread as an acceptable format?
AVI is the one format that won't show a Preview Image. So, once you find the acceptable size (not sure why it's different), you'll need a separate Preview Image.

Resolution was 640x480. Is there a list of resolution requirements somewhere?
Shouldn't be any issues.

Unfortunately, my Video Editing s/w ups the file size dramatically. In reformatting Tessa's vid to AVI, the size became, 118 MB. So, I can't use the same AVI as an example. Nor, do I have any of the needed size to demonstrate.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I've seen issues with .MOV files. They only seem to work 25% of the time.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I've seen issues with .MOV files. They only seem to work 25% of the time.
Can somewhat confirm. Unfortunately with iOS this is the default format. I’m not sure if the forum software also performs transcoding. I’ve seen video sizes increase drastically after an upload, if it works at all.

Can somewhat confirm. Unfortunately with iOS this is the default format. I’m not sure if the forum software also performs transcoding. I’ve seen video sizes increase drastically after an upload, if it works at all.

That's an interesting possibility (that the video is transcoded on upload).

I spent some time poking around the XenForo forums and it seems like many people run into this issue in various ways. The core problem in most cases stems from XF having multiple places on the backend to regulate attachments and uploads depending on what/where/how it's being uploaded, and usually the admin has forgotten to change one of the many settings.

Since I have no access to the forum backend here, we'll just assume it's set up correctly, which brings us to the other possibility - transcoding. I couldn't find any documentation/evidence that this happens for videos except in the "Media Gallery" extension (which I don't know if we're using but I don't think applies to Attachements anyway.) BUT, it was clearly stated to happen for images, which can result in much larger filesizes that move an acceptable file into an error.

Now, since the forum doesn't recognize .avi as a video file, but allows it to be uploaded, it's possible that it's either 1. trying to recompress or resave it as if it were an image, or 2. applying rules to it that should not normally apply (e.g. image max pixel setting) and encountering some kind of error that it interprets as "file too large."

I'd have to see backend logs to see what's happening for sure but I guess for now maybe I'll just try re-encoding it here to mp4 or something.